Saturday, November 10, 2018, was my first Saturday home in awhile. I’ve pretty much worked every weekend for two years. When I’ve had off on the weekends I have been running errands; or I was getting married last year this time (the 11th). Since I was home, I had the urge to cook which is a surprise. I am 11 weeks pregnant. Cooking has not been my favorite thing to do in the past 11 weeks.
What did I want to cook?…Mac-n-cheese. I believe that we can eat what we love. BUT, I understand that the things we love are not always the best for us. Something I love to do is experiment with my favorite foods by substituting the unhealthy ingredients with healthy alternatives.
I love Mac-n-Cheese but I don’t like how it makes me feels. Here is what I did with my version of mac-n-cheese.
- Instead of bleached, white, gluten, pasta-I used Red Lentil Pasta (21g of Protein);
- Instead of butter-I used Vegan, Soy Free, Butter made by Earth Balance;
- Instead of milk-I used unsweetened Almond Milk;
- Instead of flower-I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flower;
- Instead of regular bread crumbs-I used a Gluten Free blend of bread crumbs; and
- Cheese-Okay this is the only thing I didn’t change out because I have not experimented with finding a vegan cheese, yet.
OOOOOooo it hit the spot. Sooo, good!
This version of mac-n-cheese contains 21 grams of protein, 46% of your daily fiber, and calcium. Depending on the brand of nut milk; they contain more calcium than regular dairy milk. They also contain Phosphorus which is needed in the absorption of calcium-in addition to other vitamins & minerals. The body can only absorb calcium in small quantities. The best way to get and absorb calcium is to consume it in our foods (leafy greens, vegetables, certain grains in small quantities throughout your day. Milk from animals actually increases your risk of bone fractures and osteoporosis as you age. It is also very high in fat.
Go experiment with your favorite foods! Feel free to share your recipes on this blog. I’d love to hear about your creativity. Happy cooking!!